It was bound to happen… We added onto the aquaponics system. Quite considerably.
In addition to the ebb and flow beds that we have (six, I think), we added several wicking beds that have soil in them. There is a small section at the bottom filled with lava rock. Water flows in and out of that section and the soil wicks up the moisture.
We also added a ton of dutch buckets. I saw several videos on YouTube where people were growing tomatoes, cucumbers, and other vining crops with them so we decided to give it a whirl.
So far the tomatoes are doing well in them. We planted Roma and cherry tomatoes this year. We prefer those over the large varieties. If all goes well, we’ll have more tomatoes than we can eat in a few months.